Thursday 31 January 2008

Flowers for the suffering

The flower thing was really cool ad all – but I still have my reservations. Inasmuch as the gesture was genuine and the organisers’ hearts were in the right place, the situation still hasn’t changed much.

The naked children in the “camps” are still naked, the yawning mothers, trying to nurse their babies are still hungry, and the wounded fathers are still hurting...

We need to address this issue with something more than laying flowers in a park where after a few days; they’ll be wilted; dead.

Contributions of food, clothing, medicine, money and books are far much better and will go a longer way in helping the displaced.

Like one displaced lady at a police station said, “How will some flowers help me? I still don’t have a place to go to, I’m still worried over my children’s health… ”

No comments: