Monday 21 January 2008

To the Kenyan MPs – any help please?

Someone asked a very valid question the other day-where are the MPs in all this turbulence? Why aren’t they checking in on their displaced constituents and offer them solace?

Well, right on queue came a forlorn plea from one FM station (Kiss FM actually) to the honourable members of parliament. They were asked to kindly forfeit their fat salaries and contribute the cash to the displaced persons in different parts of the country.

Well, I must say that this caught me by surprise. I mean, who would expect any right thinking MP to forgo his salary for the sake of others? I almost laughed out loud – it was purely satirical, I thought.

But then again, I imagined that probably – just probably – someone would heed the call. I mean, if there’s one way that an MP can show his people that he/she really cares, then isn’t this it?

So I waited…by the end of business yesterday, no cheque had checked in at the Kiss FM offices. I wasn’t totally surprised, although I had waited with bated breath for a sign.

Which brings me to the point of my argument – did an FM station have to make this plea? Couldn’t the honourable members have thought about this all by themselves? Why is it that the conscience of this esteemed arm of government is so hard to prick?

Indeed, one MP who opted for anonymity advanced the argument that making such a contribution wasn’t very simple, especially now that so many MPs elect are struggling to pay off the debts they incurred in the form of campaign funds.

Well, that’s a point…but which is more important?

So far, Kiss FM’s noble plea is seemingly all for naught. But today is another day – and I doubt if there’s a deadline for the MPs to be generous.

All we can do is hope – and cross our fingers while we’re at it.

No comments: