Wednesday 1 July 2015

There's More To Life

It has been a while since I was last seen on this hallways...time has flown by so fast and I am amazed at everything that has happened in the past one and a half years.

My last blog post was in 2013. That is incredible! For someone who's fingers are always twitching, it hardly makes any sense that I have not written anything for this entire time.

Writers block is real people, it is real.

On the upside, I think I have enough material now to write an entire book. I HAVE written an entire book as a matter of fact (well, two actually but that a story for another day) so I should be good to go from here on.

What's happened in the past year and a half?

I learnt that there's more to life. Much much more.

See, people usually go through life like its a dress rehearsal for something bigger. People go through the motions like they don't really want to be here. Most of the time, we are on autopilot for the better part of our lives. Or we rush through life like it is one grand race that we just have to win, sometimes at the detriment of others.

I have been one of those people. 

For the longest time I think I have gone through life without really understanding what my purpose is. I have been on autopilot for so long that at one point nothing made any sense any more. I was going through a boring, droning routine that I could spell backwards - wake up, shower, dress, go to work, come home, eat, sleep. 

Wake up, shower, dress, go to work, come home, eat, sleep. 

Wake up, shower, dress, go to work, come home, eat, sleep. 

Until I left the corporate world and joined the humanitarian one.

Everything that I ever thought mattered didn't matter anymore. I was so far flung from my comfort zone that my nerve endings were tingling. Everyone thought I had lost it. 

I wasn't shattered though; I felt like there was a purpose after all - I had been a hamster on a wheel for so long until I couldn't take it anymore. So i jumped ship.

And now I finally have the opportunity to make a difference - even if it is just an iota. But a difference all the same.

It feels good looking back almost two years down the line.

I have met incredible people who have inspired me beyond words. I have realized that all the material things we hold dear are so transitory and so facile.  

Acting silly with kids in a refugee camp. 

All that matters at the end of the day is to do good. Do whatever makes you feel good about yourself. 
More importantly, do what makes a difference in someone else's life.

I have been so inspired by my work and the interactions I have had. It really puts everything in clear, HD perspective. 

And I am all the more grateful for each dawn of a new day.

Here's to getting more out of life!

I'm loving: More to Life  - Stacie Orrico




No comments: