Sunday 27 March 2011

First They Came

First They came - Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)


I love this poem. Niemoller was an anti-Communist German pastor,and at the height of Hitler's rampage in Germany, the good pastor postulated the following statement, sometimes presented as a poem.


It is well-known, frequently quoted, and is a popular model for describing the dangers of political apathy, as it often begins with specific and targeted fear and hatred which soon escalates out of control.


And as we all know too well, this is reminiscent of the happenings in Libya, Egypt, Kenya (a few years ago) and the rest of the world.


So just to remind ourselves...


"First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."


Do speak out for someone/something this week. Its the least you can do; at least for your sake and for humanity's sake.


I'm loving - Speak for Me by Jaci Velasquez

No comments: